The Utes line up for chocolate milk during practice.
Aug. 11, 2009
SALT LAKE CITY--
* The noise and intensity picked up a notch at today's football practice as the Utes donned full pads for the first time of their 2009 preseason camp. "It was good to get `live' work," said Coach Kyle Whittingham. "The offense did a good job picking up first downs, although they didn't get in the end zone."
* No news on the quarterback front. Whittingham reiterated to reporters what he has said since the start of camp, which is that all three quarterbacks will divide reps equally until after Thursday's scrimmage. "We'll probably run 100 plays in the scrimmage and will narrow the field to two (by Friday's practice), so yes, there will be a lot of weight placed on their play in the scrimmage," said Whittingham of the battle between Corbin Louks, Terrance Cain and Jordan Wynn.
* Stars of the Day: Whittingham liked running backs Sausan Shakerin, Eddie Wide and Matt Asiata. "Shak and Eddie looked really good, as did Matt, although he didn't take many reps." Defensively, Whittingham praised cornerback Brandon Burton.
* Walk-on receiver Zach Wade will have his knee scoped and is expected to miss the remainder of camp. Offensive tackle Zane Beadles, defensive back Reggie Topps and punter Sean Sellwood were relegated to the `pit' with muscle pulls as a precautionary measure. "If we had a game today, they would have played," said Whittingham.
* Strength coaches Doug Elisaia and Greg Argust had the defensive line stay late to work on core mobility, while the OL did some extra conditioning. According to Elisaia, a different position will work on core mobility every day.
* Check out photos of the Utes during spring camp: