Chad Manis had a sack and two pass breakups during Tuesday's scrimmage.
Aug. 18, 2009
* The QB situation took another turn last night, when Corbin Louks told the coaches that he planned to transfer to Nevada. He did not attend today's scrimmage. The departure of Louks moves freshman Griff Robles to No. 3 on the depth chart. Robles signed with the Utes in 2007, but is new to the team, having recently returned from an LDS church mission.
* Wynn and Cain are "1 and 1A in no order," said Whittingham, adding that he will not name a starter for at least seven to 10 days. He held out the possibility that he won't name a starter until the kickoff against Utah State on Sept. 3.
* In the scrimmage, Wynn completed 10 of 19 pass attempts for 149 yards and two touchdowns (2 INT). Cain was 11-21 for 152 yards and one TD (no INT)
* Wynn conducted touchdown drives in his first two series with the first string offense. Starting from his own 35-yard line, Wynn threw a 16-yard pass to John Peel, then handed the ball to Eddie Wide, who sprinted 54 yards for a touchdown against a patchwork "first string" defense missing six starters. On his next series, Wynn threw a 64-yard touchdown pass to DeVonte Christopher.
* Offensive leaders included freshman running back Sausan Shakerin (12 carries for 49 yards, long of 16), receiver DeVonte Christopher (6 catches for 74 yards and 1 TD), John Peel (4 catches for 56 yards) and tight end Kendrick Moeai (2 catches for 81 yards, long of 45).