Despite limited action, Robert Johnson picked off two passes on the final day of camp.
Aug. 22, 2009
SALT LAKE CITY -
* Utah closed its 2009 preseason camp with the "best scrimmage of the three," according to Coach Kyle Whittingham.
* As has been typical in all three scrimmages, a number of starters did not play at all, or played very little. For the defense, only cornerbacks R.J. Stanford and Brandon Burton participated in full field drills. In the final half hour, several other starters joined in for two-minute and shadow (Hail Mary) drills.
* On offense, three offensive line starters and two wide receivers jockeying for a starting job participated from the outset. Receivers John Peel and Luke Matthews took all the first-team reps until the last few situational drills, while David Reed, Jereme Brooks and Aiona Key watched. Jordan Wynn and Terrance Cain took 40 reps apiece at quarterback.
* On the first drive of the day, Wynn orchestrated a 65-yard scoring drive that included a 49-yard pass to tight end Brad Clifford and ended with a 2-yard touchdown run by Trevor Moss. Moss and Ray Stowers handled the bulk of the carries, while the top three running backs on the depth chart (Matt Asiata, Eddie Wide and Sausan Shakerin) watched.
* The closest Cain came to putting points on the board was after a 10-yard pass play to Shaky Smithson set up a 20-yard field goal attempt. But Ben Vroman's kick was blocked by Christian Cox. In another play featuring good special teams' defense, J.J. Williams blocked a 52-yard field goal attempt by Vroman. and Conroy Black scooped up the ball and returned it 58 yards for a touchdown.
* In a cameo appearance late in the scrimmage, Robert Johnson made two interceptions, including an athletic play in the end zone.
* Vroman had a busy day, making 10-of-13 field goal attempts, including one from 50 and one from 49 yards out.
* Stars of the day included Robert Johnson, Peel, Matthews and Smithson.