Senior Devin Lane captured Utah's second point of the match.
Feb. 7, 2014
SALT LAKE CITY - The University of Utah men's tennis team's (5-1) five-match winning streak came to a halt Friday as No. 45 Boise State (5-2) topped the Utes by a score of 5-2 at the Eccles Tennis Center.
"Congrats to Boise State for playing a very tough match,"said assistant coach Roeland Brateanu. "We are a lot better team than we showed today, but hopefully we learn from our experience and become a better team. We have a short turn around and have to play two tough matches tomorrow against Utah State and Seattle.."
Despite dropping the doubles point to the Broncos, the Utes quickly saw the match tied at one apiece when junior Cedric Willems vanquished Garrett Patton at the No. 4 singles position, 6-2, 6-1.
The Broncos then went up 2-1 when senior Ben Tasevac fell to Nathan Sereke at the second slot, 6-5(), 6-1. Freshman Patrick Mayer then dropped a 6-5(), 6-0 decision to Toby Mitchell at the No. 6 position, making the score 3-1 in favor of Boise State.
Junior Slim Hamza was then defeated by 54th-ranked Andy Bettles at the No. 1 spot, 6-3, 6-4, giving the Broncos the match deciding point at 4-1.
Although senior Devin Lane gave up his first set 5-6(0) at the No. 5 spot, he rallied to post Utah's second victory with a hard-fought 6-4, 10-4 win over Brendan McClain. Fellow senior Alejandro Medinilla fought equally as hard at the third spot, but fell to Thomas Tenreiro, 6-3, 2-6, 6-4, making the final score of the match 5-2.
Join the Utes back at the Eccles Tennis Center Saturday for a double header featuring Utah State and 12 p.m., and Seattle at 5 p.m. Live scoring will also be available here.
No. 45 Boise State 5, Utah 2
1. No. 54 Andy Bettles (BOISEST) def. Slim Hamza (UTAH), 6-3, 6-4
2. Nathan Sereke (BOISEST) def. Ben Tasevac (UTAH), 6-5(4), 6-1
3. Thomas Tenreiro (BOISEST) def. Alejandro Medinilla (UTAH), 6-3,2-6, 6-4
4. Cedric Willems (UTAH) def. Garrett Patton (BOISEST), 6-3, 6-1
5. Devin Lane (UTAH) def. Brendan McClain (BOISEST), 5-6(0), 6-4, 10-4
6. Toby Mitchell (BOISEST) def. Patrick Mayer (UTAH), 6-5(3), 6-0
Order of Finish: 4,2,6,1*5,3
1. McClain/Patton (BOISEST) def. Hamza/Willems (UTAH), 6-3
2. Lane/Tasevac (UTAH) def. Bettles/Tenreiro (BOISEST), 6-4
3. Mitchell/Sereke (BOISEST) def. Medinilla/Cowley (UTAH), 6-4
Order of Finish: 1,2,3*