Senior Devin Lane is on a six match winning streak.
Feb. 15, 2014
DENVER, Colo. - The University of Utah men's tennis team (8-2) blanked the DePaul Blue Demons (1-4, 0-1 Big East) Saturday at the Colorado Athletic Club - Monaco. The Utes easily netted the doubles point while senior Devin Lane and sophomore Matt Cowley extended their winning streaks to six in singles action.
"I thought we competed really well today after a tight loss yesterday. We really fought for one another," noted assistant coach Roeland Brateanu.
In doubles action, the Utes won at every position to clinch the doubles point. Juniors Cedric Willems and Slim Hamza managed a tight 6-5(3) victory over Filip Dzanko and David Vieyra at the top position, while senior Alejandro Medinilla and Cowley downed Sten Leusink and Tim Corwin at the No. 2 spot, 6-3. Lane and sophomore Justin Archer then bested Paul John and Joshua Schramm, 6-4, at the third slot.
Going into singles play up 1-0, Utah kept the winning momentum and captured every singles match. Although No. 87 Hamza dropped his first set to Dzanko 5-6(5), he battled hard to take the second and third sets, 6-5(10), 10-8. Medinilla also managed a victory despite loosing the first set 4-6 to Vieyra taking the subsequent matches, 6-2, 6-1, at the No. 2 spot.
Willems then put the Utes up 4-0 when he topped Leusink, 6-3, 6-2 at the No. 3 position. Lane then vanquished John at the No. 4 slot, 6-1, 6-0, making the score 5-0.
The Utes return to the courts at the George S. Eccles Tennis Center Saturday, Feb. 22, 2014, to host in-state rival BYU at 5 p.m. MT.
Utah 7, DePaul 0
1. #87 Slim Hamza (Utah) def. Filip Dzanko (DePaul), 5-6(5), 6-5(10), 10-8
2. Alejandro Medinilla (Utah) def. David Vieyra (DePaul), 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
3. Cedric Willems (Utah) def. Sten Leusink (DePaul), 6-3, 6-2
4. Devin Lane (Utah) def. Paul John (DePaul), 6-1, 6-0
5. Matt Cowley (Utah) def. Kyle Johnson (DePaul), 6-5(4), 6-3
6. Patrick Mayer (Utah) def. Joshua Schramm (DePaul), 6-0, 6-1
1. Hamza/Willems (Utah) def. Dzanko/Vieyra (DePaul), 6-5(3)
2. Medinilla/Cowley (Utah) def. Leusink/Tim Corwin (DePaul), 6-3
3. Lane/Justin Archer (Utah) def. John/Schramm (DePaul), 6-4