Feb. 22, 1998
MORGANA, Calif. - The University of Utah men's tennis team extended it's winning streak to three with it's win over St. Mary's College on Sunday afternoon. The Utes won six of seven matches to claim their first road win of the season.
In singles play, Utah's No. 1 seed through No. 4 all came away victorious. No. 1 singles seed Paul McPherson defeated Rex Calaunan, 7-5, 6-3 followed by No. 2 Ben Coates who downed Matt Hibbard, 6-4, 6-2. At the No. 3 position, Phil Rodrigue handled Tomas Felipcik, 7-6, 7-6, followed by No. 4 Alex Buxton's victory over Casey Kohlhoff, 6-3, 7-6. St Mary's picked up their only point of the match with Eric Hom's defeat of Utah's No. 5 seeded Ryan Snow, 7-6, 7-6. In the final singles match of the afternoon, No. 6 Ute Adam Eke defeated Hiroo Sumida, 6-2, 6-2.
In doubles play, Utalimed claimed the point by winning two of the three doubles matches. Utah's duo of Coates and Rodrigue downed Calaunan and Filipcik 8-0, and Utah's Snow and McPherson defeated Kohlhoff and Hibbard, 8-3. St. Mary's tandem of Hom and Moore took care of Utah's Eke and Zenger, 8-6.
Team Score: Utah 6 - Saint Mary's 1
1. Paul McPherson (UU) def. Rex Calaunan (SMC) 7-5, 6-3
2. Ben Coates (UU) def. Matt Hibbard (SMC) 6-4, 6-2
3. Phil Rodrigue (UU) def. Tomas Felipcik (SMC) 7-6, 7-6
4. Alex Buxton (UU) def. Casey Kohlhoff (SMC) 6-3, 7-6
5. Eric Hom (SMC) def. Ryan Snow (UU) 7-6, 7-6
6. Adam Eke (UU) def. Hiroo Sumida (SMC) 6-2, 6-2
1. Rodrigue/Coates (UU) def. Rex/Calaunan (SMC) 8-0
2. Hom/Moore (SMC) def. Eke/Zenger (SMC) 8-6
3. Snow/McPherson (UU) def. Kohloff/Hibbard (SMC) 8-3