Sophomore Matt Cowley took his singles match to three sets.
March 8, 2014
LINCOLN, Neb. - The University of Utah men's tennis team (10-3) was shut out Saturday at the Nebraska Tennis Center by the 45th-ranked Drake Bulldogs (8-4). After upsetting No. 44 Nebraska Friday, the Utes were unable to find their stride and suffered their third loss of the season.
"After a great match against Nebraska last night, we had a completely off day today," said assistant coach Roeland Brateanu. "We served for the doubles point, but were unable to capitalize. After that, we were unable to match the intensity and energy of Drake."
Utah's junior Slim Hamza and Cedric Willems fell to Ben Lott and Robin Goodman at the No. 1 doubles slot, 8-3. Senior Alejandro Medinilla and sophomore Matt Cowley then answered with an 8-3 win at the No. 3 position over Matt Frost and Ravi Patel.
Ute seniors Devin Lane and Ben Tasevac then battled Ben Mullis and Alen Salibasic point for point at the second position, going into a tie break. The Utes were ultimately unable to clinch the set and were handed their first loss of the season, 8-7(5).
Drake quickly netted the match victory at 4-0 as Utah dropped singles contests at the Nos. 2, 3 and 5 spots. No. 110 Hamza was defeated handily in his first set against Salibasic, 6-1, but put in a solid effort in the second set, taking it to a tie breaker where he lost 7-6(5).
Cowley was the only Ute of the day to net a set win in singles play despite a 6-4, 3-6, 10-4 loss to Mullis at the No. 6 slot. Willems also closely battled his opponent, Frost, at the No. 4 spot, taking both sets to tie breakers, but ultimately losing 7-6(2), 7-6(5), which completed the sweep for Drake.
No. 45 Drake 7, Utah 0
1. Alen Salibasic (DU) def. No. 110 Slim Hamza (UTAH), 6-1, 7-6 (5)
2. Ben Lott (DU) def. Ben Tasevac (UTAH), 6-1, 6-4
3. Robin Goodman (DU) def. Alejandro Medinilla (UTAH), 6-1, 6-3
4. Matt Frost (DU) def. Cedric Williams (UTAH), 7-6 (2), 7-6 (5)
5. Ravi Patel (DU) def. Devin Lane (UTAH), 6-3, 6-2
6. Ben Mullis (DU) def. Matt Cowley (UTAH), 6-4, 3-6, 10-4
Order of Finish: 2,3,5,1,6,4
1. Goodman/Lott (DU) def. Hamza/Williams (UTAH), 8-3
2. Mullis/Salibasic (DU) def. Lane/Tasevac (UTAH), 8-7 (5)
3. Cowley/Medinilla (UTAH) def. Frost/Patel (DU), 8-3
Order of Finish: 1,3,2