Sophomore Matt Cowley clinched Utah's 4-2 upset over Oregon.
April 4, 2014
EUGENE, Ore. - The University of Utah men's tennis team (13-5, 1-2 Pac-12) netted its first conference victory of the season when it dispatched No. 27 Oregon (14-4, 0-3 Pac-12) Friday by a score of 4-2. Sophomore Matt Cowley clinched the match from the No. 6 singles spot while junior Slim Hamza earned his third upset of the year.
"We played some really good tennis today and upset a very good Oregon team on the road," said assistant coach Roeland Brateanu. "After losing the doubles point, we didn't panic, weathered the storm and just competed very well. We showed that we learned from last week's matches against Stanford and Cal and put ourselves back in the hunt for a spot in the NCAA tournament."
Oregon quickly went up 2-0 early on in the match after Utah dropped the doubles point and junior Cedric Willems was defeated by Daniel Sardu at the fourth singles slot, 6-2, 6-4.
But the Utes rallied as senior Devin Lane routed Joey Swaysland, 6-4, 6-4, at the No. 5 position, making the score 2-1. Hamza then even the score at two a piece with an upset over 110th-ranked Robin Cambier, 6-3, 2-6, 6-4 at the top spot.
Utah then went up 3-2 when junior Ben Tasevac managed a three-set victory at the No. 2 slot. Tasevac put in a solid effort and took Kevin Farin 7-6(5), 6-7(5), 6-4.
Cowley then battled Jayson Amos at the sixth spot for the match deciding point. After Cowley took the first set, 6-4, Amos narrowly nabbed the second set 6-7(4). But the Ute was able to overtake the Duck in the third set, 7-6(5), to secure the upset for Utah.
No. 58 Utah 4, No. 27 Oregon 2
1. Cambier/Farin (ORE) def. Hamza/Willems (Utah) 8-5
2. Swaysland/Maasland (ORE) vs. Tasevac/Lane (Utah) 7-2, unfinished
3. Sardu/Amos (ORE) def. Cowley/Medinilla (Utah) 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 3
1. Slim Hamza (Utah) def. #110 Robin Cambier (ORE) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
2. Ben Tasevac (Utah) def. Kevin Farin (ORE) 7-6(5), 6-7(5), 6-4
3. Daan Maasland (ORE) vs. Alejandro Medinilla (Utah) 5-7, 6-3, 5-6, unfinished
4. Daniel Sardu (ORE) def. Cedric Willems (Utah) 6-2, 6-4
5. Devin Lane (Utah) def. Joey Swaysland (ORE) 6-4, 6-4
6. Matt Cowley (Utah) def. Jayson Amos (ORE) 6-4, 6-7 (4), 7-6 (5)
Order of finish: 4, 5, 1, 2, 6