Go Utes!
Go Utes!
No. 7 Stanford Comes From Behind, Stops Utes in Season Opener

Utah freshman Deanne Hanchett scored 10 points in Friday's season-opener against Stanford.

Utah freshman Deanne Hanchett scored 10 points in Friday's season-opener against Stanford.

Nov. 19, 2004

Final Stats |  Quotes

SALT LAKE CITY -- The University of Utah women's basketball team held an eight-point lead early in the second half of Friday night's season-opener with No. 7-ranked Stanford. But the Utes didn't have an answer for Cardinal freshman Candice Wiggins, who led Stanford to a 63-57, come-from-behind victory.

Wiggins gave Stanford a quick, 5-0 lead out of the gate. Utah stayed right with the Cardinal throughout the first 13 minutes of the contest. But a Wiggins jumper at the 6:14 mark started a 6-0 spurt, putting Stanford on top 28-19 with 4:41 remaining until halftime.

Stanford then went cold. Utah didn't allow a Cardinal score for the remainder of the first half. Meanwhile, the Utes were able to pull back within two points at the intermission. A Kim Smith three-pointer started Utah's 7-0 burst at the end of the first half. Lana Sitterud's 15-footer at the buzzer made it 28-26.

Utah stayed hot early in the second half, while Stanford still could not find the bucket. A Jessica Perry jumper 40 seconds into the second period pulled Utah even at 28-28. Two Lana Sitterud free throws with 18 minutes to go gave the Utes their first lead, 30-28. Utah extended the advantage to eight on a Shauna Brouillard score with 15:38 to go. All together, it was a 17-0 run for the Utes, spanning 9:19 through the end of the first half and the beginning of the second.

Once again, it was Wiggins who got Stanford started. She ended the Cardinal's scoring drought with a pair of free throws at the 15:22 mark. Wiggins scored again 11 seconds later, getting a steal and layup off the press, pulling Stanford within four points, 36-32.

Sebnem Kimyacioglu regained the lead for Stanford, 40-38, with a three-pointer midway through the second half. The lead changed hands three times after that. Utah took its last lead when Lana Sitterud buried a three-pointer to put the Utes up 45-44 with eight minutes to play. Once again, Wiggins rescued her team, hitting a three-pointer to give Stanford the lead once and for all.



Utah wouldn't let Stanford pull away. The Utes trailed by just four, 58-54, when Sitterud hit her third three-pointer of the game at the 57-second mark. But the Cardinal converted five-of-eight free throws over the final 54 seconds to seal the victory.

Utah (0-1) was led by Smith's 15-point, nine-rebound effort. Three other Utes scored in double figures. Sitterud tallied 13, while Shona Thorburn and Deanne Hanchett each added 10. Thorburn also dished out eight assists for the Utes. Wiggins scored 24 to lead all scorers for Stanford (1-0).

Utah is back in action Monday night at the Huntsman Center, hosting Georgetown in a 7 p.m. matchup.


Utah.edu Pac-12 Utah Utah Sports Properties