Go Utes!
Go Utes!
Utah Soccer Drops 1-0 Overtime Contest to Utah State

Freshman defender Katie Rigby led the team with five shots, including three on goal.

Freshman defender Katie Rigby led the team with five shots, including three on goal.

Aug. 17, 2012

Box Score

SANDY, Utah - The University of Utah women's soccer team (0-1) fell to Utah State (1-0) by a 1-0 score in overtime in the season-opener Friday night at Rio Tinto Stadium. Despite dominating the offensive scoresheet, it was a deflected shot that broke the tie and took down the Utes.

After two scoreless periods, the Aggies' Jennifer Flynn found the back of the net for the golden goal just over three minutes into overtime. In near identical fashion to Utah's 2-1 loss to the Aggies in 2009 on the same field, Flynn blasted a ball from the right side that deflected off a Utah defender and made its way into the goal.

Utah dominated much of the offensive chances in the second half, outshooting Utah State 12-2 in the frame, but was not able to find a way past USU goalkeeper Ashlyn Mulford. The Utes' best chance came off the foot of redshirt forward junior Allie Wisner. As a ball deflected through the box and fell at her feet, Wisner tried to get a quick shot off but didn't hit it squarely and Mulford kept the Utes off the scoresheet. Freshman defender Katie Rigby, who started her collegiate debut and acquitted herself very well, also had a dangerous opportunity, putting a header on frame off an Ashton Hall corner kick, which Mulford tipped over the bar.

"This was probably a typical early season game," said Utah head coach Rich Manning. "We played a really good first half but didn't generate a lot of offense. Then I thought both teams got tired in the second half and the quality of our play broke down a little bit. Although, we were more aggressive and created a lot of chances, we just didn't score. Overall I was pleased with our play, but it's really disappointing to lose when you are on top of the game like that.



"The offense is probably the last thing to come together and I thought that hurt us a little bit tonight," Manning continued. "But I thought we had good rhythm and were connecting in the first half. We played the way we wanted to play, we just got a little stagnant in front of the box. In the second half we reversed it. We weren't keeping the ball as well, but we were jumping all over their goal, we just didn't put it in."

Junior goalkeeper Cheyanne Mulcock made three saves in the Utah net, including a pair of long-range efforts from Flynn in the first half.

For the game, Utah outshot Utah State, 16-8, with shots-on-goal going 7-3 in favor of the Utes. Utah took corner kicks to USU's two, including four in the second half. It was a physical contest but called fairly, with fouls going 7-6 against the Utes.

Several other Utes put in solid performances, including junior Monica Okapal, who made her debut at center back after converting from her forward position in the spring. Okapal did a good job of defending, communicating and distributing the ball out of the back. Freshman Kaycee Buckley proved to be a handful with her skill and physicality and freshman forward Ali Forsberg showed good skill on the ball as she battled her way around several defenders. Additionally, Wisner played a dynamic game up front, putting herself in several good positions to score, but was unable to finish off a scoring chance.

Utah is back in action on Thursday, Aug. 23, as the Utes host Southern Utah. Kickoff from Ute Field is slated for 7:30 p.m. MT.

Utah.edu Pac-12 Utah Utah Sports Properties