Go Utes!
Go Utes!
Utah Soccer Stunned by No. 6 BYU, 1-0

Cheyanne Mulcock made a season-high nine saves for the Utes this evening

Cheyanne Mulcock made a season-high nine saves for the Utes this evening

Final Stats

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

Sep 6, 2013

PROVO, Utah - Utah soccer set a new defensive school record but dropped a 1-0 decision at archrival No. 6 BYU this evening on a penalty kick with three minutes remaining.

"Although the result was disappointing, there were some positive things about tonight," Head Coach Rich Manning said. "We played with great confidence and got stronger as the game went on. I thought we learned some valuable lessons and I'm proud of the team. Now we'll recover and get ready for what should be an exciting environment on Sunday."

In front of a South Field record 5,402 fans, the Utes set a new mark for stinginess as it kept the Cougars off the scoreboard for 87 minutes. Coupled with three previous shutouts, Utah eclipsed the 2005 team by keeping a clean sheet for 397 minutes to begin the season.

After a possession-based first 15 minutes of action, Utah goalkeeper Cheyanne Mulcock made a diving save on Ashley Hatch to signal the start of the action.

BYU had another chance cleared off the line by Katie Rigby in the 20th minute before Mulcock denied Hatch from point-blank distance and then Colett Jespon Smith from outside the area. The Cougar flurry continued as Jaiden Thornock was alone on the left side but fired high in the 26th minute.  

Ashton Hall had Utah’s best chance of the half when she blasted a try that narrowly sailed over the crossbar with three minutes remaining. Miranda Bailey countered at the other end with a errant attempt in the waning seconds for the Cougars

Cloee Colohan had a great look at goal on a free-kick attempt but Mulcock sprawled to her right for a fantastic save just one minute into the second stanza. One minute later, Colohan uncorked another rocket that Mulock denied before Hatch fired high.

Utah had a chance off a free-kick attempt in the 57th minute as Hall’s low line drive went right into the arms of BYU goalkeeper Erica Owens. The flow of the game changed on a second yellow to BYU's Thornock for kicking the ball away after a foul. This dropped the Cougars down to 10 players in the 62nd minute.

Utah earned its first corner kick of the game with 18 minutes left in regulation. Shortly thereafter, another corner try materialized and Katie Rigby was able to get her head to the ball. However, the try skewed high and off the attempt, BYU countered and earned a free kick which Colohan belted right at Mulcock.

Avery Ford hit a rocket on frame in the 81st minute but Owens came through with her best save of the night to keep the game scoreless. Mulcock answered at the other end, denying Colohan once more before stoning Rachel Manning

After the second save, a foul was whistled in the box giving BYU a penalty kick. Hatch scored with three minutes showing in regulation to give the Cougars a 1-0 lead. With both sides reduced to 10 players after a Utah red card, Jill Robison raced back to try and tie the score. However, her shot was blocked aside and the game came to a close.

The Utes are back in action on Sunday at 1 p.m. when they host their home opener against Southern Utah. All kids who attended the 2013 Utah Soccer camps will receive free admission if they wear their camp t-shirt.

Utah Starting XI: Mulcock (GK), Forsberg, Robison, Okapal, Wisner, Ford, Nielsen, Rigby, Trabert, Hutton, Taylor

Goals: BYU - Ashley Hatch 3 (Penalty Kick) 87'



Utah.edu Pac-12 Utah Utah Sports Properties